Future Innovations Prize
LUND UNIVERSITY AND SPARBANKEN SKÅNE ARE AWARDING SEK 400 000 TO GREAT IDEAS
We know there are lots of ideas among researchers and students at Lund University that could help us meet the societal challenges facing the world. Now we want to find these ideas and help them to become a reality!
Do you have a really good idea? An idea that could become a new service, a new working method, a new product or perhaps a solution to make an existing product so much better? Together with Sparbanken Skåne, LU Innovation awards an annual prize to ideas that are good enough to become the innovations of the future.
In addition, for the 2021 competition, we are awarding a special prize – Future Innovation for Social Change – to innovative solutions that challenge traditional systems and contribute to solving social problems.
Who can apply?
The only formal requirement is that you are a student or employee of Lund University, or at least one of you is, if there are several people behind the idea.
We welcome ideas and projects in all disciplines. Traditionally, innovation is often associated with technical solutions or medical breakthroughs, but your idea could just as well have societal benefit and societal development as its main goal.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for ideas that have not yet been realised. Perhaps you have a promising research finding, or a solution to a problem that you have been pondering or working on for a while. The definition of what qualifies as an idea is not crystal clear – but you are not to have made any money from it yet.
In order to select the winners, we have a jury with experience from entrepreneurship, sustainability, social innovations, investment and company-building. The assessment of ideas will focus on:
- Innovation level and/or innovative value – how unique and pioneering is the idea? What value and what impact does it have for society?
- Commercial possibilities and/or societal benefit – the idea does not need to have financial profit as a goal, but there must be a plan for how to make it vital and viable long-term.
- Sustainability – does the idea aim to meet any of the global sustainability goals? How does it relate to economic, social and ecological sustainability?
To award the prize for Future Innovation for Social Change, we will also be looking for ideas that challenge traditional systems and methods to bring about social change.
In total, SEK 400 000 will be distributed among 8 winning ideas. The prize is funded by Sparbanken Skåne through its owner foundation, Sparbanksstiftelsen Finn.
How to participate
- Send in your contribution before 8 Dec. In addition to a brief description of your idea, we need to know whether you are a student or employee and which faculty and department you are affiliated with. The application is the same for all prizes.
- If you need a sounding-board, please contact LU Innovation. We are also organising "How to write your application-workshops". Join us on 19 November and 30 November, at 12-13 on Zoom! Sign up here.
- Out of all the ideas submitted, a few participants will be shortlisted to meet the jury and present their ideas.
- Finally, the 8 winning contributions will be selected and presented in March 2021.
How to write your application
Need help or inspiration for your application? We organize digital writing workshops:
19 November (in Swedish)
30 November (in English)
Before you apply
In your application you will describe your idea according to NABC, a model developed by Stanford Research Institute. If you're not familiar with NABC, you can read more and download a template to test your idea by yourself here!