I am a Senior Business Development Manager at LU Innovation, the Technology Transfer Office of Lund University. In this position, I am responsible for business development and technology and knowledge transfer of advances in scientific knowledge and breakthrough technologies achieved by top researchers and students at Lund University. My work involves commercial and technical assessment of innovations and innovative works for identifying and highlighting their potential in order to bringing them to relevant market, for the benefit of society.
Working as business developer involves not only to act as interim entrepreneur but also as coach and mentor which requires quite some multitasking. I support the inventors in their journey from an early phase towards launching of startups and/or signing of licensing/option agreements. Together with my colleagues, we can make it happen using a functional process which includes intellectual property rights protection, market screening and analysis, business modelling, initial business planning, team building and early internal and later external financing support. It also involves industry contacts for verifying the need in the early phase and initiating negotiations and contracting in the later phase, creating start-ups and at times acting as interim board member or chairman.
During my years at LU Innovation I have actively contributed to signing several license and know-how transfer agreements and to the creation of more than 15 promising start-ups, among others Cognibotics, Spectronic Medical, Orbital Systems, Efficax Energy, EPFF, Watersprint, Compacta, and GA mobile.
· MSc in Engineering Physics in the field of Radiation Science, Uppsala University
· PhD in Materials Science-Solid State Physics, Uppsala University in collaboration with Das Fraunhofer-Institut für Solare Energiesysteme ISE in Freiburg
· MBA in International Management, Swiss Business School in Zürich
I have many years of experience from working as Global Project Manager, Product Development Manager and Technology Scout at the corporate level in international enterprises such as ABB Schweiz Ltd in Dättwil, Unaxis Displays Ltd (renamed to OC Oerlikon Corporation Ltd, 2006) and Umicore Materias, the HQ of Umicore Thin Film Products Ltd in Balzers.
Other skills and competences
I am author and co-author of at least 33 academic and industrial publications and have more than 900 citations. I am also co-inventor of a still valid US patent (nationalized in TW, CH, EP, US and JP). I have been often invited as speaker, chairman, panel member and exhibitor at distinguished international conferences and fairs in three continents. I have been referee for several scientific journals including Thin Solid Films, and I was awarded several times for my work including receiving the “Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation award” (200 000 SEK) for my doctoral thesis in 2000.
As part of my social activities I am Deputy Board Member of the non-profit NGO “Academic Rights Watch" and co-founder of Emko Media Co. (build in 1995, reregistered 2012) operating in Literary and Artistic creation.
Retrieved from Lund University's publications database
- On the synthesis of Indium Tin Oxide thin films on polymeric substrates
- Properties of ITO ceramics and thin films prepared by sputtering process
- Thin Film Engineering of Indium Tin Oxide: Large area flat panel displays application
- Thin film engineering of ITO for large area optoelectronic applications
- High rate direct current reactive sputter deposition of Al2O3 - Required process parameters
- High rate magnetron sputter deposition of thin Al oxide and Mo oxide films
- High-rate dual-target dc magnetron sputter deposition of electromagnetic MoO3
- Towards the smart windows - Progress in electrochromics
Area of Expertise
Physics and technology, particularly projects related to
- smart materials
- nano technology
- thin films
- deposition technology for applications in optoelectronics and semiconductor devices
- Medicial devices related to diagnostic and treatment using imaging technologies
- Design sciences
- Cleantech (including water resource and energy)
- IT (to some extent)